Seismological investigations help to determine the seismic hazard in a region and provide the basis for earthquake resistant building design, such as the Austrian Building Code ÖNORM EN 1998-1.
The department monitors recent earthquakes on a regular basis, both locally and world-wide. More than 7000 tremors are investigated per year, 500 of which are caused by local earthquakes in Austria alone. For that purpose, the department maintains several seismic stations across Austria. The data are exchanged with all World Data Centres, the Observatories and Research Facilities for European Seismology (ORFEUS) and the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC).
In addition, the department studies historical earthquakes, which provide an essential basis for seismic hazard assessments.
- Earthquake expertise/reports
- Monthly/Yearly based earthquake analysis
- Earthquake hazard assessment for houses, power plants, railways and other important infrastructures
- Scenarios for civil protection and military training
- Information for the Federal Warning Centre
- Data Exchange with World Data Centres and neighbouring countries
- Bulletins and access to real-time data